Saturday, June 12, 2010

Matchday 2 Review

South Korea 2 Greece 0

I will be honest I wasn't awake, snooze button FAIL. And also a DVR FAIL. I've seen the goals and I've heard about the game. Don't feel I need to say anything. I picked this game as a South Korea win and then changed my mind at the last minute. Greece play boring football and they finally payed for it. Look for more of that when they square off against Argentina and Nigeria.

Argentina 1 Nigeria 0
Once again, I was unable to watch the whole game, though I did get it on DVR. After seeing the first goal and the highlights I don't know if I need to watch all 90 minutes to catch the gist. Jury is out on whether Heinze steals away the goal of the tournament Tshabalala. Do the times make the goal or the goal make the times? Tshabalala's is the first ever World Cup goal on Africa soil, scored by the host nation, given NO CHANCE and just a ridiculous strike. Heinze's is a great header but not sure if it was nearly as meaningful. The African keepers, who have always seemed the wink link in most squads, have put on some tremendous shows in their first two games.

USA 1 England 1

The Good:
USA: Could have easily fallen apart after going down early on a defensive lapse (albeit in the midfield not the back four), yet didn't. In fact from the goal until half-time the US were the better team. Do I really need to say Tim Howard is the most vital player on this team. This team played with heart today, which is one of the traits of American football. You can't turn that on and off.
England: Despite not taking their chances, the Three Lions owned the second half. Passed the ball around the pitch like a Sunday afternoon stroll through the park. Slovenia and Algeria do not have Tim Howard in goal to stop every opportunity. In case people are worried about Robert Green, I say he made up for the blunder on the save on Altidore late in the second.

The Bad:
USA: For a player deemd "speedy" Robbie Findlay gave up on a lot of balls. poorly on the goal, and then cleaned it up. Apparently playing the game against Australia on a 45 yard wide pitched really hurt our attack. 7 guys standing in the middle of the field at one time is never going to score goals. Is it just me or does the team look completely different with Donovan wide left rather than wide right?
England: A lot of useless cards that could haunt them, assuming they go through. Not a very impressive performance from a team with that much talent. The goalie situation has not been good since David Seaman and now they are in a lot of trouble. If you bench Green, his international career is done as long as Capello is the coach.

The Ugly:
Is there any doubt? I feel bad even retyping it. You've got to feel bad for the kid. I hope he gets a second chance and redeems himself in a big way. Maybe leading England to a win in shots from the spot

I stated that the Golden Boot would be won by an EPL player. Matchday 1 saw no goals from Pienaar, Anelka, Forlan or Dos Santos. Today we get goals from Manchester United, Liverpool and Fulham.

As league totals stand for the Golden Boot
English Premier League ... 3 ( Park Ji-Sung, Steven Gerrard, Clint Dempsey)
South African Premier League ... 1 (Siphiwe Tshabalala)
Spanish Primera ... 1 (Rafa Marquez)
Ligue 1 ... 1 (Gabriel Heinze)
Saudi Professional League ... 1 (Lee Chun-Soo)

I see a Bundesliga charge tomorrow, with all but one player being home-based on the Germany squad and Slovenia's top scorer being a Bundesliga man as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment