Monday, March 2, 2009

The Beverage Section

As some of you know today is my 21st birthday. Hip Hip Hooray. Since I'm not at a college where I can go crazy, or really into that kind of thing, one might say it's been uneventful. However I am going to disagree. The great thing about turning 21 is not that you can get drunk, it is that you can drink. I plan to take the next few weeks or so to take in the great beverages that my elders have experience for longer than I have.
Last night I served up a few Mango Mojitos for the family, which leads me to my first lesson about drinking. Never follow the instructions on the back of the cocktail mix bottle. I should have probably realized this but, because of course they want you to buy more of the mix. So 3 oz of mix and 1 oz of light rum. We happened to have some of the stuff with the bat on it (find out why there is a bat on it here). Here is how that conversation went;
Family: Cheers!
Keith: Umm
Kyle: yeah it's kind of sour, I followed the directions on the bottle
Keith: kind of sour? all I can taste is the mix
Becki: are you sure you did it right?
Kyle: yeah, (laughing and spitting at the same time)
Becki and Keith : (nearly spit it out)
Kyle: next time I'll use a little more rum.

Even before that had happened I went to CVS so I could buy my first legal beer. With limited choices that I had not already tasted (I had tasted Heineken, Corona, Miller Hi-Life etc.) I chose The Great American Lager, Budweiser. If Budweiser is the King of Beers apparently Barqs is the Queen and IBC is the Court Jester. Maybe the Clydesdales somehow got into the brewery, because it was terrible (use your inference skills here). I can't imagine how weak a Bud Light would be if when the real thing taste like dish water. Leads me to Lesson #2 if you have had beer in a foreign country, you probably are not going to like anything that you find in a drugstore. American beer is WEAKER than a Friedberg and Seltzer movie at Cannes.

That is where we stand at appx. 1:58 PM, the rest fo the day hold in store a "Create Your Own Six Pack" that I got from World Market. That includes the six and I will be letting you know what i think as the day goes on.
The Short Stubby Ugly Bottle I was a little disappointing, to me this was just another beer. It was good, but nothing special. Hey, You can't win 'em all. Just goes to show you that great ad campaigns don't necessarily mean great product.
Eine Königin unter den Bieren which literally translates to "A Queen Among the Beers," can't wait to compare it against "the King" The one I've been waiting for, I saved this for last because I knew how good it was. This was easily my favorite mass-produced beer in Deutschland when I went in 2004 (Drinking age 16 BTW) so I knew I would still like it. And I did. Though my parents questioned my decision to finish it in about 15 minutes. I didn't think it was that big of a deal.
The Chosen Beer no not LeBron's favorite beer, but a Kosher beer. I really liked this one, I have been drinking out of the bottle mostly, but I decided to pour this one into a glass to see the color (though for some reason all of our frozen beer mugs, have bits of frozen peppers, or ceiling plaster in them so I just poured it into a regular glass). A deep reddish brown, and it was delish. If it Kosher for Passover I could see myself having Matzoh Ball Soup, Fruit Gels and He'Brew a couple times during those 8 days.
Chocolate Beer I have heard this called "a mouth orgasm," sounds like fun. I think. Maybe Not, when you really think about it. took a sip at about 7:30pm, ended up giving the rest to my Dad, not feeling it. Kind of tasted like someone spilled beer in your morning coffee, not my cup of tea (no pun intended)
HofBrau Munchen Original a Bavarian classic finished around 3:15 pm Ah yes that is what a real beer should taste like. You can actually taste it.
HopDevil it had a cool label, and sounded like an American beer that might actually have flavor. Finished at about 8:45. It had hops alright. Definitely 'menacingly delicious.' Victory Brewing Co has another one that looks like fun called "Golden Monkey" a Belgian style ale, with Asian spices.

I still have to go on the official Beer and Football Sponsorship Tour where I do Newcastle Brown, Guinness, Strongbow, Krombacher, T-Mobile etc.

Tonight for dinner is Don Tequila's Mexican Restaraunt, so I have to decided between a Dos Equis or a Modelo Negro.
Lesson 3 when you start to reach for your wallet to pull out your ID before the guy even asks you what you want, they are not likely to ask for your ID. This was the instance in my Mexican Restaraunt escapade. I ended up getting Modelo Negro, and I was feeling it. Not completely sure what to do with the awkwardness of the lime; do you squeeze it; take it out and watch it sit there; try to drink with it there; drop it in the drink. It's a debatable subject for many. Mine fell in anyway so I didn't have much choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment