Thursday, February 26, 2009

Babbling About Spring Training

I didn't really get to watch much of the game today, as there were more important things on such as Chelsea/Juventus. However what I did see was 10-7 score, that saw the Indians on the short side of the result. You can't base much off spring training, and you certainly can't base anything off one game but here are Three Ups and Three Down for today's game. I'll try to continue to edit my note each game. (until I start my blog, because this is going to get really long)

Wednesday Feb. 25, 2009 L 10-7 vs SF
Three Up
.5. The entire Goodyear, Arizona facility looks great.
1. The bats looked pretty good for an early game, though it may have been the pitching just was bad hence the bats looked good.
2. DeRosa is not a power bat, but if he hits 15-20 into Souvenir City, like he did last year, it will be huge. He started off the spring well. This is important for fans who are not on his train seeing as how he is going to be leaving or the WBC.
3. If Matt Herges' line looks half as good as today's was (1IP 0H 0R 2K) at the end of spring training, I think he should be on the Major League roster. Teams bring guys in on minor league contracts hoping to find a roleplayer that can help them, and it never hurts to have reliable bullpen arms. This guy is only two years removed from going 5-1 with a 2.96 ERA. He is also only 4 years removed from going 1-1 with a 7.14 ERA
Three Down
1. I've never liked Edward Mujica, an not only because of this, yet the Indians keep thinking he is going to be good. He stunk today as he did last year and the year before. Though not as much as Vinnie Chulk. Ditto what I wrote about Herges except for the part about making the roster.
2. I would have liked to see the new lean-mean-not-hitting-anymore-machine, Travis Hafner, get an at-bat.
3. LaPorta should not have had the green light on the last swing of the game. Down three two men on, two outs, the last two pitchers have combined for two hit batsman and 3 balls on their last five pitches, make the them throw a strike. I don't know who was due up because the box score is impossible to read when 19 guys bat. But it appears the guy would have been S Head (unfortunate to not have a first name in the box score with that initial and last name. This S Head hit a home run already why not have him come up with the bases juiced. I'm getting the feeling already that LaPorta is afraid of becoming the next Andy Marte, yes that was on purpose.
FANTASY PLAYER TO WATCH:
This Travis Ishikawa fellow hit two home runs, I've never heard of him but in 33 games .277 3HR and 19 RBI. Possible sleeper pick, then again maybe not. However I must say when Ryan Braun had that ridiculous spring in 2007, I was all over him and everyone told me it's just spring training. 71 HRs, 203 RBI and an NL Rookie of the Year later, your crazy if you don't draft him in the top 20. Mark my words now... I'm jumping on the Ishikawa fantasy bandwagon.

1 comment:

  1. In case you were wondering. This was written prior to the Indians Insider in The Plain Dealer.

    A few quotes from the plain dealer.
    "Edward Mujica and Vinnie Chulk overthrew and got hammered" (See Three Down 1)
    "Matt Herges looked good in the ninth" (See Three Up 1)
    "The Indians could not get Ishikawa out" (See Fantasy Player to Watch)
    "You have to look at a pitcher's stuff," said Wedge, "and not his results." (See Three Up 1... maybe a bit of a stretch)

    ReplyDelete